Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Random Pics, Random Thoughts

Not everything I do has a defined theme. I can drive for miles and see nothing of note. It's like a treasure hunt but my treasure is a little different. As the line goes....one man's junk is another man's treasure. I worry sometimes I am not finding enough or a good variety. So I drive. If I had one decent photo for every mile I have added to the old Dodge I could fill a book easily. Maybe two. One thing I have learned is that to expect nothing and a lot of times you won't be disappointed. Alabama is very agrarian and one of the nation's largest timber producers. Which means you will see a lot of trees. Having lived in Alabama most of my life I have also discovered that a rural road in Coosa County can look exactly like a rural road in Macon County. Towns that are so many miles down County Road whatever. That do not exist except as a mention on a state sign placed there many years prior. Places you never heard of.

But then neither did I.

Oh I find things. I'll always find something to shoot. The images I added today are the result of that. This passing truck speeds by the island which once held gas pumps in Six Mile. I remember being sent to Six Mile when I worked in TV. No clue what the story was now but the assignment manager was surprised I knew where it was. He really needs to get out more often.

That plantation in Chilton County. It was also one of my inspirations to do my journey. I know nothing about it. Well save for the obvious no trespassing signs. All I know is I had seen it many times in the course of my travels. I was always impressed by its grandeur. This was a magnificent structure and quite enormous. Had to be 15 rooms or more. It begs for more research which will happen when I put my book together.

 The next three images were the result of "Finally I found something to shoot!" I'm sure I had gone 50 miles when I saw this patch of land. It was clear cut of any significant trees and apparently there were many pines. Made me think of the TV show "Swamp Loggers" Now it was mostly wasteland except for the remnants of an old shack and that ancient Ford truck.
All that remained was the Chimney, standing like the last soldier on the field of battle. The truck? I actually didn't see the truck at first but I love shooting anything automotive. They make for excellent pictures and beg to be photographed. This one was obviously abandoned many years ago. The tree resting on its roof was not what did it in. Perhaps it just gave up and it was easier to park it. The rusting words of the state motto, "Heart of Dixie", the only reminder it was registered here. Ole' Henry's been gone a long time but the monuments to him will go on possibly forever.


This truck is one you just don't see anymore. Guess that was not the best choice of words as this whole mission was to find things you just don't see anymore. It's a Diamond T. Probably mid-1950's vintage. Started by a shoe salesman's son who started off building only cars and ended up only making trucks. It was known as the Cadillac of Trucks. I always laugh when I see something that is the "Cadillac" of whatever. I suppose I could say my blog is the...no, ain't gonna do it. I did find this old girl totally by accident hiding in some weeds. I can only imagine the hard life she must have led. Time will deal with her as it does all things. Ashes to ashes...rust to rust.

The journey plods on. I have been many miles and yet I feel I have not been anywhere. As always, your comments and suggestions are welcome. Tell me things you have seen and where they are. I welcome that because I can't possibly find everything. Thanks for giving me a moment of your time!

No comments:

Post a Comment