Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Journey Begins....sort of

The process, such as it is, is now in motion. I have been out several times in the past couple of weeks or so collecting my story. I started in Walker County. That wasn't by design really. I had an errand and you know that saying about killing two rocks with one bird. Something like that. I saw that bridge many times from the new Interstate. Just a lonely structure. A monument of steel. But still, even after the ravages of time have taken their toll, quite the magnificent reminder of our transportation past. I parked near its edge in front of what appeared to be a storage building. Turns out that the nice lady living there was curious what i was doing especially since I had parked in her front yard. Talk about an awkward moment. She was lovely. She was once a truck driver. A breast cancer survivor. All full of stories about many a passing traveler who saw that bridge as I saw it. I laughed when I realized I was not unique in my passion. I thanked her for her graciousness to a stranger wanting to take a few pictures. To say it was scary being out on this rickety structure was an understatement. Not that I'm afraid of adventure but I'm also not stupid. My steps were carefully chosen. The dead kudzu vines made things interesting because they were not necessarily covering steel.

It was a lovely day. Bright and sunny and around 50. But it was a special day. My first day out doing what I want to do. To capture those vanishing reminders of our past. Of Alabama's past.

17Jan2013
Today it snowed. It doesn't snow much in Alabama. I remember my days in television news. To the rest of the our world snow was the ultimate respite from the boring day to day weather. But to us in the media it was a pain in the rear. Sheer pandemonium broke out over the viewing area and no loaf of bread nor gallon of milk was safe. And there we are covering this as if it was the end of the world as we knew it. We Alabamian's don't do snow well and today was no exception. I went to Bessemer because I remembered many things that would make excellent pictures for my quest. I will say I had my doubts about how the snow would affect things but I'll let you be the judge. I wanted stark and desolate images and they were there to be had. Getting around was interesting because everybody wants to drive in the snow I guess. For a Southerner I never had any issues but that's where my days on the road with my job came in handy. You don't miss a deadline so you don't get in a situation you can't get out of.

My next stop was Pratt City. It's no longer a city as it got merged into Birmingham years ago. But at one time it had a thriving downtown. Not so much anymore. Oh an enterprising individual will try their hand at a small grocery store or a barber shop but mostly just ghosts of brick now.I got several images there but don't want to give away everything I did yet. Suffice it to say I see many sad things in an odd sort of way. What I mean by sad is that this is what I'm looking for but I also realize progress is a cruel mistress and is not selective in whom it chooses and does not choose.

More to come obviously. I have a short Winter and much to collect. Please feel free to comment or suggest things I may not be aware of. I welcome any and all your thoughts and thank you for sharing a part of my world.

4 comments:

  1. So how might one subscribe to your blog? I don't see a subscribe button.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind. I found the button at the top right of the page. I didn't realize that black bar slide out with the buttons. Maybe my mistake will help someone else subscribe. I also have no idea why my comments are posting double. Probably some mistake on my end though, I'm sure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for subscribing Wendy! You flatter me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will always love getting lost in your photography

    ReplyDelete