Friday, March 8, 2013

I Knew This Was Coming

I'm going to say something. Something I never in a million, gazillion years EVER thought would cross my lips. I actually....sigh....working up to it so bear with me. 

I actually dread the end of winter.......excuse me a moment as I compose myself. 


I do not look forward to the approaching spring. Spring means lots of things. First and foremost is, of course, the end of winter. But it also means my subject matter will once again be swallowed up by the advance of nature. The birds will sing. The flowers will bloom. The trees will once again clothe themselves with ample foliage. I'm pretty sure you see where this is going. It means I will have to cease my project for now. Oh I'm not done with the blog. I think I have another four or five left before I stop for the season. But I've got maybe a week or two at most to get a few more pictures. To say this is a melancholy moment doesn't really do it justice. But such is life and you deal with it.
My photos this time have no theme really. Just random things I picked up here and there. The image at top is a bridge near Kimberly. I'm not sure if it was originally Hwy 31 but it was quite unusual to see it as I plodded down the winding road. The above image was from a power plant of an old sawmill in Brent. It was being torn down. The place was quite large and must have processed millions of feet of lumber in its day.
The Jazz Feed sign was on a long gone business in West Blocton. The interior is of the same business. I always wondered whatever happened to Blocton. I mean obviously there had to be a Blocton to have a West Blocton. Right? So you know I did do a search for Blocton but came up empty. So we are forever relegated to only having the western version. It's like so many small towns that time seems to have passed by. Back in its day it was a mining town. But now even the United Mine Workers drug store is closed down. (That's it across the street from the Jazz Feeds building) I recall it was a cold day when I shot these pictures. In an odd sort of way the weather seemed quite appropriate.



I remember this building. Well duh. I did shoot it. The remnants of an old general store in western Alabama. Behind it is a newer version in brick. A lady stopped by and wanted to know what I was doing. I explained of course and then inquired as to what she knew about the place. You see, it's two lonely buildings at a crossroads that are miles from anywhere. She told me it was the Martin Murphy store and it had been closed since she was a little girl back in the 1980s. I'll never understand why places like this don't survive. I can tell you it had to be 15 miles from any civilization so yeah...probably worth paying the convenience markup I would think. I did go inside all the while wondering if today was the day it would decide to collapse. I've been in a few like that but you have to go where the pictures are. Just don't be stupid. I am a guy so that's part of our DNA I'm afraid.

The SLOW sign is just off Hwy 31 up around Warrior. There is a large industrial complex down the hill behind it but entry was going to be a bit difficult. It had been raining and it was muddy and I had places to go. Maybe next year. 

Spring. You know I love you. You know how much I detest winter. You are just coming too soon. (Insert heavy sigh here) Next winter I'll start earlier. I'll have a better plan. I'll be more organized. I'll...oh who am I kidding? 

No comments:

Post a Comment