Friday, February 28, 2014

Spectre, "The Best Kept Secret in the State of Alabama"

The town of Spectre
My trek through my beloved Alabama has taken me to many, many places. Places I never knew existed. Places I did. Most are your normal run-of-the-mill old houses or stores. After seeing dozens and dozens of them they start to look alike. But then there are the really cool things. The, as I call them, Holy Grails of my journey. This one, Spectre, Alabama, was one of my hardest to get to. It's on private land and is behind a gate that requires a code. And $3 a head. Guess that's to maintain the gate I suppose. But fortunately a friend of Forgotten Alabama, Gerald Nix, happen to be one of those with the code. It took a while to get our schedules to match but we did.

The columns from the witch's house
The Mayor's house. Only interior used besides the witch's house. Pie anyone?




I have to say the island (it's actually a peninsula) is quite peaceful. The spanish moss hangs thick on the trees there. I've often wondered why there is such a preponderance of it around Montgomery for something most likely to be seen much further south. As we rode down the gravel road I was getting excited. Like I was entering Alabama's version of Area 51. I could see the rooftops as we drew close and then as we rounded the curve there it was. Time has not been kind to the old buildings but then again they're movie props and not built to code. All show obvious signs of age and deterioration. In retrospect they were mostly still intact. The fake bricks were coming off of the chimneys and walls. None of the buildings had floors save for the Mayor's house. There are two large open and quite obvious spaces in the middle across the street from each other. These were the stores and businesses. Apparently both suffered their ultimate demise as victims of an an accidental fire. How that fire jumped across 30' of road between them is a mystery though.
Looking back towards the Jumping Spider woods. At top is the fake trees as Ed enters Spectre for the first time. The pole at right was one of the poles that held the wire that the shoes were suspended from.

What pretty much every building looked like inside


I watched Big Fish again. Mostly because I wanted a reference to accurately describe things. I have to admit it's worth watching. I didn't give it much thought initially but there were a lot of big names in the movie. Albert Finney was perfectly cast as was Ewan McGregor. It also had Jessica Lange and Billy Crudup. Robert Guillaume, Danny Devito (who was perfect for his role) and Steve Buscemi (who was not). And of course Miley Cyrus made her acting debut back when she was sweet and innocent. Oh...little known trivia (I love that interweb thingy) This was supposed to be Steven Speilberg's movie and he wanted Jack Nicholson to play the elder Ed Bloom. I like Jack Nicholson but there's no way he could have pulled this off like Finney did.

Nothing happened at the church. It was truly a prop


In the big picture (pun unintended) the town of Spectre wasn't really a significant physical part of the movie. The only interior of any building you see is the Mayor's house. Well, the witch's house too but it had fallen into such disrepair that it was removed. Only the piers exist now where it once sat. I have to admit it was quite fascinating walking around Spectre. And equally fascinating seeing a movie set as they actually are. I was told that Tim Burton and his wife stayed overnight at the Mayor's house. I was also told that rather than disassemble Spectre he offered the property owner compensation to let it sit as is. I'm glad he did.






As I've come to discover time and again, it's always a little weird walking around once busy places that are now abandoned.

Spectre was no exception.

12 comments:

  1. Great pics and commentary...I appreciate this! I loved the book & movie and want to visit this place. Like u, I find " places that were once busy" filled with a certain kind of feeling of being. I also enjoy places that nature is taking back so to speak. Will u please tell me details on how best to contact the owners to arrange a visit? Thank you! This site is neat! Glad I found it. I love old/neglected places too!....Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! It's my passion and cheaper than gambling I suppose. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I could see a beautiful wedding taking place here. Nothing more than simple white folding chairs, some mason jars filled with simple flowers, and not much else. That "church" standing behind the bride and groom would make a beautiful backdrop. Is it just me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your thoughts make complete sense. It would make an excellent backdrop. The rest of the town? Not so much. I would wager the property owner would not be opposed to this if proper arrangements were made.

      Delete
    2. The church is not located in the same area as the town. The church is on Hwy 143 in Deatsville.

      Delete
    3. The church is right there where it's always been. . I was there yesterday. As to a wedding my girlfriend and I thought the same thing with pictures of us throwing our shoes over the wire together.

      Delete
  3. We live about 1 1/2 hours from Montgomery, AL, and I would like to make the drive to see what's left on the site. Do you have contact information for the owner? I would really hate to drive all that way and not be able to get in. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is now a sign on the gate with a phone number to call. You put your $3 a person in ab envelope and drop it in the box. Then call the number and they give you the code.

      Delete
    2. That's good to know. I hope to go back some time when the weather is warm. My sister and my husband didn't get to go the first time.

      Delete
    3. That's good to know. I hope to go back some time when the weather is warm. My sister and my husband didn't get to go the first time.

      Delete
  4. I had an advantage as a fan of the page also had permission to go out there and took me with them. Apparently you knock on the right door (there's two houses and they're related) but not sure which one is which and you register. Then you get a code for the gate and pay your $3. It's a good bit north of Montgomery off the Prattville exit off of I-65 btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there an address or any kind of contact info? I'm a big fan of movie and interested in going

    ReplyDelete