Thursday, March 20, 2014

To Quote Rod Argent, It's The Time Of The Season

What's left of the gym floor at Marengo County High School
Today is a pretty day. As I sit here writing this I glance out the window and see the reminders. The dogwood trees are starting to bud. Daffodils are everywhere. The weeds in my yard are tall enough that I cannot ignore them much longer. Yep, Spring is upon us. After this brutal winter (below 50 degrees is brutal to me) it looks like dawn is starting to break after the long dark night. While I embrace the onset of spring as much as Cato (my cat) embraces catnip I know it's the time of the season. Soon my journey will once again find safe harbor and weather the onslaught of kudzu. I always get melancholy at this time. I'm tired of being cold but since I only shoot in winter cold is my friend. Friend is not a good word. Evil accomplice is more appropriate.

When I set out to do my project my goal was to cover the entire state this winter. To have enough material to actually fill my impending book. Ambition and reality seldom share the same space. December is always a tough month to get anything done. My job, although freelance, still consumed much of my time. And then there was my Dad's health issues and his eventual passing. Even though I knew it was inevitable it was still a blow to me. It's all part of life and life happens on its schedule and not mine. 




As I have come to discover time and time again, I manage to find things I had missed previously. This house was not part of my itinerary. But I saw the beauty of it and turned around to get a picture of it. This is on Dallas County 45 between Marion and Marion Junction




As I was passing through Orrville on my way to something else I saw this bank. It's still pretty intact inside from what I could tell. Old banks used a lot of marble and I'm betting that marble came from Sylacauga.

I have no idea what this place was called other than "Motel". I don't think it's been abandoned that long but as you can tell from the sign the kudzu and other weeds are permanent residents now. US 11 north of Eutaw.











I had passed this church south of Moundville on AL 69 back in November while going from Mobile to Tuscaloosa. I found it odd to find these plastic flowers still sitting on a post near the front of the sanctuary. Kind of a sad reminder of what it had been at one time. Now they seem more to mourn its passing.







A moment of self-indulgence. Normally I consider selfies to be nothing more than narcissistic reminders that we exist. Add to that that I don't consider myself as particularly photogenic. But I saw myself in the mirror and in my element and realized that this actually looks pretty cool. Soooooo...forgive my rare foray into self-aggrandizement.





Life is short and I have so much left to do. Alabama is a veritable goldmine of abandoned and forgotten structures. I want to see them all.

I wonder if that's even possible....

13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a old bank at Marion Junction off of Highway 80. Turn where it says Marion Junction Post office

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also old abandon bridge off Hwy 22 between Orrville and Safford. Turn like you are going to the Weaver Processor and Menonite Church Follow road till you hit dirt. Keep going until you come up on a gate. You will have to park and walk. Bridge is in bad shape. You can also get to it from the other side. Not so sure how bad it is on that side or how to get there. Also a lot out towards Molete;s Bemd

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found the Mennonite Church on the map but not sure where to go from there. The church is on Dallas Co 21 but I didn't see any bad bridges

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous pics, thanks for sharing! In the spring & summer we try to get "out & about" to take pics but not many of them rival yours...great photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always humbled and quite flattered when someone compliments my work. Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  6. you are a wordsmith...keep writing !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am but a mere mortal who seems capable of stringing thoughts together into coherent sentences. Thank you for your kind words however.

      Delete
  7. Love your photos, saw your link on the al.com story today. Like you, I seek out the same type subjects to photograph on that extremely rare occasion when its just me and my camera. Wish this pesky job would offer more freedom to roam around with my camera. If I make it to retirement age with all my parts in working condition, this is exactly what I will do with my time. Only 21 years to go. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a lot closer to retirement than you plus I got semi-retired due to circumstances beyond my control. Fortunately freelancing in former profession puts food on the table and a fair amount of free time.

      Delete
  8. You need to head back down to Dallas Co and check out Elm Bluff Plantation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my understanding Elm Bluff is on private property. I'll bend the rules although would deny it if anybody asked ;-). The thing about shooting on private land is that I would be taking pictures and, as a result, incriminate myself should I make them public. They do say confession is good for the soul though.

      Delete